Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Today one of my daughter's "cancer friends" died.  They never met in person but had been part of a very active on-line support group for young women with breast cancer.  This young woman, Holly, was diagnosed at the same time as KT and with essentially the same "kind" of cancer and they were essentially the same age. Holly was 25 years old;  KT was 27.  They received the same treatments and through their on-line group received support, hugs, laughs, they bitched, and complained and aired their fears and hopes and anger with people who understood.  Holly's cancer metastasized and she died;  KT's didn't and she lives.  Bad luck vs good luck.  Holly worked throughout her treatment until the last few weeks and then quit her job and entered hospice to die but because of our entirely screwed up medical system had to figure out how to pay for dying.  To continue to receive medical insurance and thus hospice care she had to pay for her insurance through COBRA continuation of coverage but without a job, and with her resources reduced to $0 because of the cost of her care she couldn't afford it.  She, or her friends, started a GoFundMe page  looking to raise the $5000 they estimated she would need to pay her expenses for her final weeks.  Little bits of money dribbled in - $15, $25, $50.  Katie posted her site to Facebook and KT's friends contributed even though they never met this young woman. I contributed and was so sad that this had to be one more worry for her and her family and friends and was so thankful that it was not KT who was dying.   Holly died this morning having raised $3,050.  I wonder if it is enough to cover her funeral.

4 comments:

ellen said...

This is something I seem to see over and over. A person with a terminal disease working too late in the disease process because they need to hang on to their jobs for insurance. I can't help but wonder if the need to work shortens their lives. It surely subtracts from the quality of their last days. Heartbreaking.

J said...

We really need a better medical system than we have, because stories like this BLOW. Single payer for all. You live here, you're covered. End of story.

I'm SO glad to know that your daughter is OK, but so sorry that her friend passed away. Horrid.

Hattie said...

God that is sad. My daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. Luckily she had insurance. She is fine today, more than ten years later, and has two children.

Marianne said...

I'm so sad Jane. Today when I went in for mu infusion the clinic was packed. My son and I couldn't believe it. So, so, so much cancer. Please give KT my love and a big hug. Does she still have a blog? xoxoxo I love you my friend....