Tuesday, November 08, 2011

My daughter is adorable

The day after Thanksgiving she is having a commitment ceremony with her lovely girlfriend.  Since the state in which they live doesn't allow same-sex marriage I never really know how to refer to this wonderful event, but she is doing her very best to make certain that all the families feel welcome and comfortable and she wants to share her heritage.  Consequently, since what would be the traditional rehearsal dinner falls on Thanksgiving, we are having her partner's family join us for dinner.  But, at K's insistence, we will not have traditional Thanksgiving food but we will have Cuban food.  We tried to explain to her that Cubans in the U.S. eat turkey for Thanksgiving, so this was not exactly a Cuban tradition, but to her it is all about the food, not the holiday.

So, Cuban food it is, and it's an easier meal to prepare than turkey and all the trimmings.  But I'm beginning to think that it is really all about the dessert.  I brought back the required guava pastries from Miami this past weekend, and I'd already planned to make a cheesecake flan, but today she's put in an order for 'pudin de pan' - bread pudding Cuban style.  I do not make bread pudding.  I buy bread pudding from the Publix grocery store in Florida.  I have no idea how to make it.  So I'm now scouring the internet for just the "right" recipe (Would Publix share their recipe do you think?  It is the best bread pudding in the world next to Latin Cafe 2000 in Miami).

But I'm so happy she has found someone to love, and has someone who loves her back just as fully.  They are adorable together and complete each other perfectly.  And they will have 'pudin de pan'.

1 comment:

naomi dagen bloom said...

Admire your mellow attitude about daughter's life choice. Hope you find the recipe or someone to prepare it for the wedding.